Diamond Monster 3D ( 3DFX Voodoo 1 )

Discuss blog posts and articles here.
RetroNinja
Contributor

Diamond Monster 3D ( 3DFX Voodoo 1 )

Post by RetroNinja » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:48 pm

I was just watching some videos on YouTube the other day on the pioneering 3DFX Voodoo 1, I happen to own one in the original box. Actually it’s not quite the “original” box. I bought a second hand card a long time ago and it just happened to come in an old Diamond Monster 3D box.
The box was in great condition and it brought back a lot of memories for me since i remember seeing these boxes in the stores (the store was Software Connection, now know as Incredible Connection). I later found a unboxed Diamond Monster 3D 4MB on Ebay really cheap so I grabbed it and now I have a boxed card !
They used to be quite expensive pieces of kit, not many people in South Africa could justify the price to buy them and not many people knew what they were anyway since Internet access was not that prevalent back in 1997. You needed to be reading your gaming/PC magazines like PC Format to know what these cards were meant for. On top of that, they did 3D only which meant you still needed a separate graphics card to handle the 2D. This worked by connecting a VGA pass-through cable between the 2D card and the Voodoo and it would use the VGA out signal of the relevant card when running in 2D or 3D modes.

Read More